Table of contents
Awardee of the 1st ZIHPunconventional prize
We congratulate Dr. Christina Neuner Boyle (Institute of Veterinary Physiology, University of Zurich) for her presentation titled “Toward a brighter future: reducing the impact of obesity on the lifelong health of mothers” and winning the first ZIHPunconventional prize!
ZIHPunconventional supports biomedical researchers with unconventional careers by helping them acquire competitive grants and present their projects in front of potential donors. Participants will be accompanied by a professional communication trainer for a 4-month period, preparing them for presentations of their research proposals to a scientific committee and to private donors in September 2022.
One presenter will be awarded with the ZIHPunconventional-Prize, which includes a cash contribution of 500.- CHF. Three presenters will be given mentors to help them advance in their career path. All participants will receive a course certificate.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- Applicants must possess a PhD in a biomedical field and be employed at the University of Zurich or one of its affiliated teaching hospitals.
- Applicants must be able to show for unconventional career paths.
- Participants will be selected among the applicants based on scientific excellence
Examples of Unconventional Career Paths
- Reentry into academia after a career in the private sector
- Start of an academic career after a second Master's degree
- Start of an academic career after a break (e.g. due to maternity leave, illness, disability, or forced migration into Switzerland)
- Entry into academia via non-standard educational paths (e.g. zweiter Bildungsweg, vocational training)
- Repositioning of academic after multiple years of part-time employment.